|The Pringles of East Teviotdale 1425-1675by James Bruce PringleWho is a senior member of the Pringle of Stitchill family.He can be contacted via E-mail:
The Hoppringills originated from a place of the same name, five miles north of Stow (A7 between Galashiels and Edinburgh, Scotland). They held lands between the Gala and Leader waters and were longtime supporters of the Earls of Douglas. Members of the family were squires to each of the nine succesive earls for the hundred years or so until the downfall of the last earl in 1455.
In the mid-15th century the estates of Pringle of that Ilk comprised Hoppringill, Glengelt, Kirktonhill and Muirhouse. The oldest cadets, the Hoppringill’s of Smailholm, who contested the right to bear the name Hoppringill of that Ilk and subsequently the more influential, had the lands of Pilmuir and Blackchester (off Leader Water but nearer the town of Lauder) and the west half of the barony of Smailholm with other lands around Muirhouse.
At this time, the fortunes of the Pringles suffered two severe blows. First, Pringle of that Ilk died without leaving a son and heir. His heiress, Mariotte, took Glengelt, Kirktonhill and Muirhouse with her. Glengelt was given to Lord Borthwick in 1458 by the King, Mariotte’s superior, as a casualty of marriage due from an unmarried heir of marriageable age or from a minor heir once he/she attained marriageable age. Kirktonhill passed to Mariotte's son, William Mowbray. Hoppringill was occupied by her mother until two/thirds was reclaimed in 1480 by Adam de Burnhouse, now Pringle of that Ilk. The remaining third was held by Lady Hoppringill as her terce until she died and then it passed to Adam. Secondly, George Hoppringill, Douglas squire since 1425 was appointed Master Ranger of the Tweed Ward of Ettrick Forest in 1456; but lost that position in 1461 for continuing to support the disgraced earl. He was replaced by Robert Hoppringill of Wrangholm and Smailholm.
[Alex. Pringle in ‘The Records of the Pringles or Hoppringills of the Scottish Border’ published in 1933, strongly rejected, on pages 29 to 31, the then prevailing and still current error that the Hoppringills were in some way descended from the Pyngle’s of Whitsome (e.g. Roger Pyngle of Whitsome and Adam Pyngle of Aberdeen) as absurd. I have tried to correct this ongoing error with the help of my namesake on his Clan Pringle website but with little success to date. The Hoppringills were all descended from the place or stead named Hoppringill]
David Hoppringill of Pilmuir and later of Smailholm and Galashiels was Ranger of the Tweed Ward. David formed an alliance with Ker of Cessford who was appointed bailie of Jedburgh Forest by the Earl of Angus. The Pringle/Ker alliance continued throughout the 15th and 16th centuries.
This leads us to East Teviotdale; east of the line drawn from Kelso to Jedburgh and from there to the Scottish/English border. In particular, to Cessford (1467) and Clifton (1509).
The ruin of this castle, which in 1523 the English esteemed the third strongest place in Scotland, (letters and papers, Henry VIII), stands on high ground overlooking the valley of Kale Water about 6 miles NE. of Jedburgh.
A charter to Walter St Clair of the barony of Cessford in 1375-6 (Reg Magni Sig Reg Scot 1306-1424), makes no mention of a tower on the property, and a sasine of 1441 in favour of Christian Sinclair, spouse of the deceased Sir William of Cokburne, of her lands whatsoever of Cesfurde, specifically mentions that it is “done in the town of Cesfurde in a building of the same” (W Fraser).
The above entry suggests that the existing tower had not yet been built. Further, according to the Old Statistical Account of Scotland, Andrew Ker of Atonburn was granted a charter to Cessford in 1446. The second of that name, he was the first to be styled “of Cessford”. And in a Letter of Reversion granted by him in 1453 to Sir Robert Colville of Oxnam (W Douglas 1925), he speaks of “my manr place of Cessward”.
In [October ]1467 a sasine is given at the gates of Cessford Castle, (Information from History Mss Comm. Roxburgh 17). The probability is, therefore, that the tower was built or rebuilt about the middle of the 15th century.
[The above was taken from Castle Duncan Forum – Cessford Castle].
George and Alexander (Sandy), Douglas Squires
In September 1427, George de Hoppryngile is at Jedburgh on an inquest of 15 that retoured William Douglas as heir to his father, Sir William Douglas of Drumlanrig, in the barony of Hawick (A.P. pages 92/93).
In January 1430 George performs a similar duty in the retour of Thomas of Fotheringham in the third part of the lands of Caverton (A.P. page 93).
On 2 November 1433 Archibald, Duke of Touraine and Earl of Douglas, issues letters from Edilbredshiels (Auldwark) granting lands in Sprouston to the Carthusian convent of the Charterhouse, Perth to which the witnesses were the bishops of St Andrews, Brechin and Dunkeld, the abbot of Melrose, the earls of Angus and Mar, James Douglas of Balveny, the sheriff of Teviotdale, Nicholas of Rutherford, George Pringill and Alexander (Sandy) Pringill, squires (A.P. page 93).
In April 1456 the Earl of Angus issued letters acquitting Andrew Ker of Cessford of traitorous dealings with Englishmen; this being the verdict of a jury that sat at Selkirk and included George and Sandy Hoppringill (A.P. page 96).
David of Pilmuir and Smailholm
On 7th December 1457 at Jedburgh, George, Earl of Angus and Warden of the East and Middle Marches, made an indenture appointing Andrew Ker of Cessford his bailie of Jedburgh Forest during their mutual lives: in witness of which the earl set his seal to one part of the indenture while to the other part was set the seal of David Hoppringill of Pilmuir, because Andrew Ker did not have a seal of his own present (Douglas Book Charter 431).
In 1471 at Borthwickshiels, David Pringil witnesses along with David Scott (Buccleuch) and William Scott the infeftment therein of Walter, son and heir of Andrew Ker of Cessford (A.P. pages 97/98).
[David had a number of sons. James, his heir, who first made the records in 1464. William, in Cessford and first of Craigleith, first mentioned in April 1467. Alexander, first of Trinlyknowe, witnessed a notarial instrument in Edinburgh with William in May 1468. David, James and Adam of St John’s Chapel appeared together as witnesses in 1476].
James son and heir of David of Smailholm
In 1466 James succeeded his father David as Ranger of the Tweed Ward.
In 1484 at Jedburgh James Hoppringill is on a jury that retoured James Douglas as heir to the lands of Drumlanrig in the barony of Hawick (The Scotts of Buccleuch).
Adam of that Ilk
In 1474 King James III granted to Adam Pringill de Burnhouse, “familiaris armiger suus” (Household Guards), the lands of Caverton, Rox. forfeited by Robert, Lord Boyd (G.S.).
[No other information is known about this gift from the King].
William in Cessford, Whitton and 1st of Craigleith; second surviving son of David, Ranger of the Tweed Ward
In April 1467 at Edinburgh, a charter was granted by King James III to his faithful Andrew Ker of Attonburn of the whole lands of Cessford, also the 20-merk land acquired from James Lord Hamilton; and in October following, infeftment on a precept of sasine was given at the gate of Cessford Castle in the presence of William Pringill, constable of Cessford Castle, and others (MSS., Rox.).
In May 1468 at Edinburgh, in the house of Thomas Folkert, a notarial was taken that Henry Wardlaw of Torrey had received from George Twede in the name of Walter Ker, son and heir of Andrew Ker of Cessford, payment for the lands of Hounam; witnesses, Thomas Folkert, William Pringill, Alexander Pringle [very likely Alexander, first of Trinlyknowe] and others (MSS., Rox.).
In 1476 William, Lord Somerville, challenged the finding of the jury that sat on his claim to the lands of Blakelaw, parish of Linton, and only five of them including William Hoppringill having appeared by their procurators, the Lords Auditors order the others to compear along with them on 3rd October following, under pain of rebellion (A.P. page 129).
In 1478 William Hoppringill and Christian Sinclair are ordered to restore to Robert Allen 29 merks, the belt, the knife, the hat and the tippet (fur cape) taken from him; and for the contempcion done to the king by the said William in the striking and dinging of the said Robert, the said William ordered to enter his person in ward in the castle of Blackness, there to remain till freed by the king’s highness (A.L.C. 16).
In 1484 John Rutherford, William Hoppringill and Ralph Ker act as bailies for Alexander Hume of Crailing and Hounam, nephew and heir of Alexander, Lord Hume, for infefting Andrew Ker of Cessford in the lands of Hounam; the Mains, Chatto, and another excepted (A.P. page 129).
On 3rd June 1486 William’s (and Alexander his son) lease to Craigleith is renewed at the end of the existing lease made on 28 October 1483 (E.R. page 620).
In 1486 William, Alexander and others sat on the assize that retoured John, 4th Lord Maxwell in the barony of Maxwell, Rox. (A.P. page 129).
On 6th July 1488 William and Alexander renew their lease to Craigleith; plegio James [of Smailholm].
In 1489 William made good his claim, before the Lords of Council, to the tack of Muirhouse, Stow, as granted to him by the Archbishop of St Andrews (A.P. page 129).
In 1490 William Borthwick, Ralph Ker and William Hoppringill acknowledge receipt of Patrick, Earl of Bothwell’s pay as Warden of the East and Middle Marches, probably as Depute Wardens.
[There are a number of documents in which William Hoppringill, constable of Cessford Castle, appears with Ralph Ker, brother of Walter Ker of Cessford].
On 7th June 1490 William and Alexander renew their lease to Craigleith.
In 1491 the Lords Auditors order the Earl of Buchan and William Hoppringill to pay £10 each to the widow and executrix of Thomas Hay, or produce the letters they said they had from the king, discharging the same (A.L.A. 149, 171, 180). In the same year, William Hoppringill of Cessford, and Thomas and William Ker resign their lands in Rachan, Glenhighden and Glenchoen, Peebleshire and the king granted a charter of them to Thomas Dikeson of Ormiston, giving one attendance in Parliament and at Justice Ayres (Great Seal).
In March 1492, William and Alexander renew their lease to Craigleith. Also in 1492 William, designated of Whittoun, received a charter of the lands of Hut. Rox.
In 1494 at the Justice Ayres, Jedburgh, a remission for the theft of farm stock from Lauderdale and a slaughter at the same time having been produced, William Pringill in Cessford and the Laird of Hundalee [Rutherford] become sureties for satisfying the parties.
On 30 April 1499 Robert Pringill is associated with his grandfather in the lease to Craigleith. Also in 1499 William has a £10 fine for ploughing and sowing in Craigleith remitted (E.R.).
On 15th April 1501 William and Robert have a lease to Craigleith, plegio Camerario.
On 6th September 1501 the King conceded to Jasper Lauder, natural son of the late Gilbert in Whitslaid the 12s land of Robert Hoppringill, the 10s land of William Hoppringill and the 6s land of Robert Hoppringill lying in the burgh territory of Lauder (Great Seal) - see Alex Pringle p. 272.
On 21 March 1526-7 Alexander of Trowis [the Knowes], Robert of Newhall, George of Torwoodlee and others were summonsed to attend court to be held 5 April next at the tolbooth of Edinburgh (S.P.B. page 46 no. 20).
In 1531 a gift under the Privy Council was made to Alexander and William Hoppringill of all goods movable and immovable that pertained to two persons at the horn for a slaughter (Register of the Privy Seal - P.S.).
On 8 October 1540 Alexander Hoppringill of Quhittoun (Whittoun) came to the principal mansion of 40 shilling [land]s of old extent [in] “neyther hoc” [nether haugh] lying in the lordship of Cauerton [Caverton] and sheriffdom of Roxburgh and there presented a precept of sasine with seal of white wax on red of Walter Ker lord of Sesfurd to James Hoppringill his bailie depute humbly requiring the precept to be executed and the said James brother german of the said Alexander received the said precept and handed it to me [Ninian Brydin] to read out make public and proclaim in the following tenor: Walter Ker of Sesfurd and superior of part of the lands of Caverton to Robert Thomsone, Robert Ker, James Hoppringill conjunctly and severally my bailies in that part specially constituted greetings for as much as it is clear to me that the deceased Robert Hoppringill father to Alexander Hoppringill died last vest and seised in the peace and faith of our lord king as of fee of all the lands called “nether hoc” with pertinent extending yearly to 40 shillings scots money of old extent lying within the lordship of Cauerton and sheriffdom of Roxburgh and that the said Alexander is lawful and nearest heir to the same deceased Robert his father and that he is of lawful age and that it is held of me by you in chief now we order you and command you to give sasine to the said Alexander or his rightful attorney without delay in tenor of his charters and evident, to which to do I commit to you my full power. In testimony of which my seal and sign manual is appended at Halidene 16 day of May 1539 before witnesses George Ker in Faudonsid, James Ker of Farnile, George Riddaill in Lyntobank, master Thomas Ker in Sonderlandhall, Walter Ker of Sesfurd. After which James Hoppringil bailie in that part gave sasine of all the said lands called “nether hoc” with pertinent and manor and mansion thereto by earth and stones to Alexander Hoppringill personally present and accepting in tenor of the precept, save the right of whomsoever. Alexander Hoppringill asked instrument done on the ground of the same near “le peill” before Robert Thomsone, Andrew Patersone, Thomas Patersone his son, John Fynlawe, Andrew Bennat (Ninian Brydin, Selkirk Protocol Books).
[The above precept of sasine shows that Alexander, his father [Robert], grandfather [Alexander] and great-grandfather [William] had occupied Whittoun for the past 73 years and proves that William of Cessford, Whittoun and Craigleith were one and the same person. Also, A.P. (page 181) was incorrect in stating that Robert fell at Flodden. Robert and Alexander were mentioned together in 1526/7 and Robert appears in the list of parishioners of Stow in 1530].
Robert had at least five sons; Alexander his heir, George (A.P. page 181), William (as above), James (as above) and John a witness to a sasine of lands of Wethirburne in Blakhauch on 13th July 1536 with John brother of George of Torwoodlee (Selkirk Protocol Books item 2, page 23).
I have not satisfactorily identified all William’s sons.
Andrew (Dand) Pringill was a son of William Hoppringill of Cessford and Craigleith and succeeded as constable of Cessford Castle.
On 10 April 1510 a nortarial instrument of assedation is made by David Hoppringill in Tynnis in favour of his cousin William in Torwodle, of assedation under the Privy Seal to lands of Tynnes and the hamlet of Glengabir in Yarrow (T.W.).
In December 1510, at the Justice Ayre, Jedburgh, Andrew Hoppringill in the Tanlaw came into the King’s will for art and part in occupying Hounam Common without a lease from Andrew Ker of Gateshaw; surety himself and David Hoppringill in Tynnes.
In October 1515, writes Dacre, “Mark Ker of Dolphinston, depute-warden of the Middle March, the Kers of Gateshaw and Graden, the young laird of Mow, Dand Pringill constable of Cessford Castle, and George Davidson of Fourmertdean, with 400 men came to Millfield, whence they sent 160 horsemen who sacked the town of Holborn … (Henry VIII Letters and Papers – HL). In November 1515, the same party burnt the town of Hazelrig (HL).
In 1535, George (Pringill) was granted a charter of remission under the Privy Seal for taking part with the rebels of the King (James V).
In 1536 George Pringhill of the Tanlaw was present on the days of the Truce, as one of the six Scottish Jurymen at seven meetings held by the Wardens (HL).
On 23 August 1542 at Hadden Rig, George Douglas of Parkhead, natural son of Sir George, brother of the Earl of Angus was taken prisioner by James Hoppringill son of George of the Tanlaw. Afterwards the King wrote to the Bailie of Melrose Abbey granting the stead of Langlee to James (Liber de Melrose). [Langlee is adjacent to Westhousebyres – see A.P. pages 153 and 155].
In 1550 George Hoppringill of Tanlaw was on the assize that sat on the apprising by William Rutherford for £3,000 of the lands of Fairnington that belonged to Patrick, Earl of Bothwell (G.S.).
In 1551, Ker of Ferniehirst is charged to enter (George) Hoppringill of Tanlaw in ward in Edinburgh Castle for Disobeying the Warden of the Middle March (The Lord High Treasurer’s Account).
In 1596, amongst the English bills for reifs given to the Border Commissioners was one against George Pringle of Tanlaw (Border Papers).
William of Cessford & Craigleith Dand of Tanlaw George of Tanlaw James son of George of Tanlaw George of Tanlaw
Note: Langlee is north of the Gala, north east of Galashiels, adjacent to Westhousebryes.
The Tofts - William (descended from Hoppringill of Cessford)
In February 1511/12 Thomas Hoppringill, (page torn) ...... in Torwodlie, William Hoppringill in (page torn) ……. chaplain, Roger Hoppringill [of Trinlyknowe] were witnesses to an instrument drawn up by William Ker heir to the deceased Ralph Ker of Yair (Selkirk Protocol Book pages 2/3, no. 8).
[In 1490 William Borthwick, Ralph Ker and William Hoppringill acknowledged receipt of Patrick, Earl of Bothwell’s pay as Warden of the East and Middle Marches, probably as Depute Wardens (A.P. pages 129/130). Craiglatch and Trynlyknowe are adjacent landholdings separated from Torwoodlee by Whytbank.
On 7 December 1517 William Hoppringill witnessed George Ker of Linton affixing the seal of master George Ker of Auldroxburgh to a letter of assedation (S.P.B. page 6 no.30).
On 19th June 1518 William Hoppringill was a witness to a document, subscribed by Margaret, Queen of Scots, discharging master George Ker of a sum of money (S.P.B. page 5, no. 23).
In the same month and year William Hoppringill was witness to a document drawn up by master Thomas Ker (S.P.B. page 6 no. 27).
On 19th May 1520 John Hoppringill of Galloschelis and William Hoppringill of Tofts witness a letter of assedation drawn up by Andrew Ker of Primsydloucht relating to the relict of the deceased Ralph Ker his father (S.P.B. pages 7/8 no.35).
On 26th January 1522 William Hoppringill witnessed a dispensation to marriage granted to George Scot and Margaret Trumbill (S.P.B. page 9 no.42)
On 20 January 1526-27 William witnessed a lease to John Best of a tenement within Selkirk paying rent to William Ker (S.P.B. page 45 no 16).
William of the Tofts was twice on the jury in 1536 and also tendered a bill for 52 “hold sheep”, which was delivered for.
In 1537 William tendered another bill against five Englishmen named Store, which was quit by them.
In 1605 Andrew (Dand) Pringill son of the late John in the Tofts gets from George Pringle of Torwoodlee a charter of 3-merk lands of his quarter of Clifton (occupied by John Pringill, called Guantlet), to be held by him and his wife Margaret Ker in conjunct fee of the King (G.S. 1622).
In 1616 John Pringill of Tofts is retoured heir of William Hoppringill of Tofts, his great grandfather, in 50s lands in the eastern quarter of Clifton, and on his death is succeeded in 1619 by his son John.
William of Cessford Alexander or brother William John Andrew (Dand) John John
Alexander (Sandy) Fernacres, Northumberland
In 1536 Sandy Pringhill tendered a bill for 52 sheep, which was delivered; while an English bill is referred to the quittance of Curste Sande Pringhell (H.L.).
[Alexander Pringle states on page 156 that Sandy was a son of William Hoppringill, first of Torwoodlee; but William did not have a son named Alexander. Sandy was a grandson of William Hoppringill, first of Craigleith, Cessford and Whittoun].
On 27 July 1543 Lord Parr, the English Warden reported that 200 Teviotdales and other Scots made a raid into England but were set upon by the Constable of Etal and 24 of them were taken prisioners; he had sent some of the principals, one being the laird of Mow, another Jok [John] a Pringill who took Parson Ogle at the battle of Hadden Rig.
On 31 July 1543 Parr reported that although Mow and Pringill have been very rank riders they are so esteemed in Teviotdale that, though they deserve death and their execution would be a terror to others, it is supposed that to save them, all the Kers and Pringills would bind themselves to keep good rule and obey the King (Henry VIII) (H.L.).
On 10 August 1543 The English Privy Council wrote to Parr that as Mow and Pringill who were lately apprehended in Mark Kerr’s raid entered England by folly rather than by malice and Pringle had favoured divers of the King’s subject as Parson Ogle had declared they and all the rest save two or three must be saved. The rest are to be dismissed, Mow and Pringill and ten of the best being reserved to be kept surely and honestly: Sandy Pringill, who made earnest labour for Pringill, offering, rather than he should suffer, that he and twelve of the best of his surname would become the King’s subjects, was to be pricked forward to perform his promise (H.L.).
To save his relative’s life, Sandy had become a renegade.
In December 1510 at the Justice Ayre, Jedburgh, Andrew Hoppringill in the Tanlaw came into the King’s Will for art and part in occupying Hounam Common without a lease from Andrew Ker of Gateshaw; suety himself and David Hoppringill of Tynnes.
In 1544 Dand (Andrew) Hoppringill was delivered to the English Warden as Pledge for his Surname along with 39 Pledges for the other Surnames of East Teviotdale.
[In Alexander Pringle’s Records of the Pringles (A.P. p. 150) he states that Dand (Andrew) Hoppringill was a son of George of Torwoodlee and Clifton. However, George is not shown by Alexander Pringle (p.210) to have had a son named Andrew. Dand is probably the same Dand, as Dand, constable of Cessford Castle in 1515].
In 1576 James Hoppringill of Hounam and his son Dand appear in the list of “Assured Scots”.
In 1577 James Hoppringill in Hounam, Dand his son, Watt Hoppringill in Clegtoun, Thomas his brother in Halden are summoned “to answer sic thingis as salbe inquirit of thame”.
In 1587-8 David of Todsknow and his son Wattie are fyled of two English bills, in 1588 William of Chatto of one, and in 1588-9 Davie thereof of two (B.P.).
In 1590 was confirmed a charter to James Hoppringill, brother of David of Hounam, of two husbandlands of the Kirklands of Eckford, failing whom and his children, to his other brothers William and Robert in succession (P.S.).
In 1592 William Hoppringill, brother of David in Hounam is mentioned.
In 1595 David is ordered by the superior in Hounam to flit.
In 1596 Thomas Hoppringill in Hounam is mentioned and in the same year Dand is raided by the English.
In 1597 Dand, younger, was Pledge for the Surname in York Castle.
In 1605 Dand, then senior ….. , of Hounam, great grandson of George second …. of Torwoodlee, was granted by George 4th thereof, 5½ merk lands there occupied of his quarter of Clifton, and other 5½ merk lands there occupied by him; both lands he resigned in 1623, with consent of his wife Christina Davidson and eldest son Andrew, to Mark Pringill, first of Clifton (G.S.).
In 1607 Alexander, Dand, called little Dand, and David Pringill of Hounam are mentioned.
In 1610 Alexander Pringill in Morebattle is mentioned as son and heir of the late Andrew or Dand Pringill.
In 1611 David Pringill, younger, of Hounam, is cautioner for William there.
In 1622 Andrew alias Dand Pringill of Hounam is retoured as heir to George second of Torwoodlee, his great grandfather, of a 3-merk land in the east part of Clifton, and David thereof sits on a jury before the Border Commissioners at Jedburgh.
In 1648 Alexander Pringill, son of the deceased Dand, renews a lost bond granted by him (R.M.).
In 1649 a bond granted in 1622 by the late Andrew Pringill, portioner of Hounam, is transferred to Andrew his son and heir, and the Pringills of Nenthorn, Sharpitlaw, and Peel, heirs of his cautioners (A.D.Scott).
William of Torwoodlee and Clifton, son of James of Smailholm
In October 1508 at Edinburgh, James Henrison, burgess, Clerk of Justiciary, granted “for singular love towards David Hoppringill in Tynnes” William a charter of his lands in Clifton extending to one fourth part of the lands and barony thereof, to be held of the King.
William was killed at the battle of Flodden in 1513.
In December 1516 a gift was made with consent of the Governor to Elizabeth Lawson, relict of the late William Hoppringill of Torwoodlee and Clifton and his son George his heir, Robert parson of Morham and Alexander conjunctly and severally of the ward and nonentries of the quarter lands of Clifton, now through the decease of the said William, in the Kings hands by reason of ward (Register of the Privy Council - P.C.).
[From the above, it seems that George, William’s son and heir, was a minor and therefore Robert, parson of Morham, and Alexander could not possibly be his brothers. In all likelihood they were his tutors (probably his uncles].
[Alexander Pringle, on page 33, states that James Hoppringill of Tynnes is a son of Alexander of that ilk. However, the Selkirk Protocol Books (item 89, page 70) relates to the testament made by David Hoppringill in Galloschellis and lord of the lands of Smailham Crag, in which his relict and executor, Margaret Lundy, asked instrument on 17 July 1529 before Elizabeth Hoppringill, Lady Polvort [Polwarth], master Robert Hoppringill rector of Morham, James Hoppringill of Tynnes brother german of same. This Elizabeth is a daughter of James of Smailholm, who married David Home of Wedderburn. It seems that the three were brothers and sister of David of Galloschellis.]
In 1518 a gift of the ward and nonentities of all lands, etc., that pertained to the late William Ker of Yair, now in the King’s hands, and of the marriage of Thomas Ker, his nephew and heir, was made to John and William Hoppringill (Register of the Privy Seal - P.S.). [The king would make such gifts to the dependants of those killed at Flodden but there is some doubt that the John and William, the beneficiaries, were George’s sons, as they were still minors. Also, since Flodden Scotland and its borders was in disarray. It is possible that these two were grandsons of William of Cessford].
In May 1526 a letter of pardon listing 148 persons is issued under the Privy Seal naming nine Hoppringills including George and his brothers James and David.
On 19 April 1532 a notarial ratification by George, son and heir to William of Torwodlie was made between George and James, David, Robert, and William, his brothers for themselves and for Thomas, John and Margaret, also their brothers and sister (seven brothers and sister). Witness with others was master Robert (of Morham, his uncle). [As you see, there is no mention of Alexander. Alexander Pringle in his book, states that Sandy (Alexander} Pringle was a son of William, first of Torwoodlee, but this cannot be].
In May 1538 Ninian Glendinning sold to George Hoppringill of Torwoodlee the £3 land and to John (his brother) the 50s land of the £10 land (old extent) of Clifton, as occupied by them.
In 1540 the King confirmed George and Margaret Crichton, his spouse, in the said £10 land (G.S., 1623) – [it is not clear whether this was an additional £10 land (old extent) or the original his father, William, had received in 1508].
On 9 May 1556 a dispensation for marriage was given to Thomas Hoppringill of that ilk and Isabella Hoppringill of Torwoodlee notwithstanding that they were in the fourth degree of consanguinity (third cousins). [Who was the common ancestor? Once again it goes back to David of Pilmuir’s generation, as shown below]:
Thomas/Archibald David1. Adam 1. James2. Alexander 2. William3. John 3. George4. Thomas 4. Isabella
Westerhousebyres, William son of George 1st of Torwoodlee
The battle of Pinkie was fought on 10th September 1547, at which Hugh Ross, 10th of Kilravock, Nairn, was taken prisoner by John Carr of Wark. In October at Torwoodlee, Ross granted a bond to John Hoppringill of Smailholm, George of Torwoodlee and William of Westerhousebryes. To repay them the 100 angels they had advanced to pay for his ransom.
In 1555 William is chosen along with others to divide the goods belonging to Andrew Ker of Clarilaw, as second spouse of the deceased Marion Hoppringill and those pertaining to her children by her previous husband the late William Cairncross of Colmslie.
In 1570, William acts as bailie at the sasine of John Hoppringill of Smailholm in part of Mellerstain.
In 1572 William is summoned, with other kinsmen, by Thomas Hoppringill of that Ilk, now 14, to provide him with Tutors.
In 1582 William appears as Tutor to Marion Hoppringill grand-daughter of the late Robert Hoppringill of Ewingston [see Pentcaitland], brother of the late George of Torwoodlee [Alexander Pringle confuses this Robert with Robert, rector of Morham – Torwoodlee’s uncle].
In 1610 Pringill, son of the late William of Westhousebyres, gets a gift of the nonentry, mails and duties of the 4th part of Clifton that pertained to William Pringle 1st of Torwoodlee, for all years that the same has been in the hands of the King, since the death of the said William at Flodden and for all years to come till the entry of the righteous heir (P.S. vol. 79).
The Bents, Clifton - John son of George 1st of Torwoodlee
In 1537 John Pringell of Clifton was a juryman once and also tendered a bill that was respited.
In May 1538 Ninian Glendinning sold to John (Torwoodlee’s brother) the 50s land of the £10 land (old extent) of Clifton, as occupied by him.
In 1561 John Hoppringill of the Bents is summoned, with other Border lairds, before the Council to give advice concerning the weal of the Borders.
On 20 and 21 November 1576 at Jedburgh, John of the Bents and his son David, subscribe, along with 27 others of the surnames of Teviotdale to Bond of man-rent to serve and obey Archibald, 7th Earl of Angus, and their feudal Lord. The other five Hoppringills were: Walter in Clifton and his son David, James in Hounam and his son David and David in Linton. The others included 6 Youngs, 6 Taits, 5 Davidsons, 4 Burns and 1 Dalgliesh.
In 1602 David Hoppringill of the Bents appears as in Lempitlaw (A.D., Hay).
In 1605, John Hoppringill heir of the late John in Clifton, his grandfather, is granted by George Pringill of Torwoodlee a charter of a 50s land of his quarter of Clifton, as occupied by him; and in 1623 he resigns the same, together with the 50s land acquired by his grandfather John in 1538, to Mark Pringill (G.S.1623).
In December 1625, William Ker of Linton and his son Andrew acknowledge the receipt from Robert Pringill of Baitingbus (later 1st of Stichel) of 2500 merks in gold and silver, which they promise to repay before Whitsuntide next, and to infeft him in certain lands in Clifton; done in the office of Robert Pringill W.S. Edinburgh (S. Rox).
[The above clearly shows that Robert of Stichel and Robert of Fountainhal W.S. were two quite separate people].
In 1629 the king granted to James Pringill of Clifton, called the Bents, and to his son James in fee, 8-merk lands of the barony of Clifton, viz, the 5 mercates possessed by James Young, and the 3-merk by Robert Pringill in Caverton and his son William (G.S.).
In 1636 James and his son resold to the said James’s son the 5 mercates, who in turn sold them to Lancelot Pringill of Lees (G.S.).
In 1665 a charter of the 20s land of the quarter of Clifton that belonged to James Pringill, and was disponed by his great grandson Thomas in Lempitlaw to James Pringill in Clifton, as also of the 2-merk lands of the same disponed by George Pringill of Torwoodlee to James Hoppringill, is granted to Robert Pringill, second of the barony of Clifton, to whom James and his son John, now in Clifton, resigned them (G.S.).
In 1683 the said Robert Pringill in his Will left the said James and his wife a certain pension and victuals for life.
Howden, Parish of Maxwell
In 1549 Pringill of Howden sells provisions to the English Warden at Berwick.
In 1550 at Kelso Monastery he is ordered under pain of excommunication to pay up the value of the tiend sheaves of Howden for the years indicated.
James Pringill of Howden, in the parish of Maxwell, a son of William of the Tofts, who married Barbara, daughter of Andrew Haliburton appears in the records at this time (A.P. p 141).
In 1554 the partners of James who were fyled of an English bill for which he was interned in England are ordered to relieve him (P.C.).
In 1592 William Hoppringill of Howden and two other lairds are denounced rebels for not having entered their tenants who had made a night raid on Redpath (P.C.).
In 1596 William gets notice from the proprietor to flit from Howden.
In May 1538 English officials on the Borders reported that a company was ready to ship to France to bring home the Queen; six score of them from Teviotdale and the Merse. Another official reported that he had met with Lord Maxwell who said that he and the Master of Kilmaurs with 300 of the best were going to France to bring home the Queen and James Pringill, the King’s servant, told him that he and twenty Pringills must go (H.L.) - see Buckholm.
[The Protocol Book of John Brydin 1526-1536 – On 17 July 1529 David Hoppringill in Galloschellis and lord of the lands of Smailham Crag, made his testament and made his executors, Margaret Lundy his spouse and James Hoppringill his first born son, procreated with the lady Margaret, and the said David Hoppringill appoints as advisors his superiors, master Andrew Dure lord abbot of Melrose and master Andrew Houme rector of the church in Lauder in all and singular causes affecting or seeking to affect these executors and the said David … of his own free will leaves all his moveable goods, grain, utensils and household (goods) to his four daughters viz. Agnes, Christian, Janet and Margaret Hoppringill on his decease to be shared between (amongst) them. Margaret asked instrument before witnesses Elizabeth Hoppringill lady of Polvort (Polworth), master Robert Hoppringill rector of Morham, James Hoppringill of Tynnes brother-german of the same; and others]. This newly found document refutes Alexander Pringle’s statement on page 33 of his book that James was a son of Alexander of that ilk.
On 3 May 1543 a messenger with letters from the Privy Council was sent charging the Kers and Hoppringills not to ride (raid) or make convocation of the lieges (T.A.).
In May 1544 war between the two countries broke out afresh. The Earl of Hertford took Edinburgh, except the castle, burned the city, Holyrood and the country round about and retreated by the east coast, burning Haddington, Dunbar and other places on the way.
On 12 June 1544 Hertford reported that he had burned Jedburgh and its Abbey killing 160 and taking 500 horse loads of spoil. When they reached Kirk Yetholm they saw a number of English villages afire, whereupon Sir Ralph Eure with 500 men rode in haste towards the fires, on sight of them the Scots fled (H.L.). The Captain of Norham took 78 prisioners including William and Alexander Pringill and the laird of Cornhill and John Pringill (Hamilton Papers).
In July 1544 the English burned 13 steadings on the Kale and took prisioners, cattle, sheep and horses.
On 29 October 1544 Sir Ralph Eure, English Warden of the East Ward, received the hostages of 39 Teviotdale lairds who had agreed to serve the King of England, viz., the Kers of Fernihirst, Linton, Gateshaw and Corbet, 4 Rutherfords, John Hoppringill of Clifton, Dand Hoppringill, Jok Hoppringill of Clifton, 2 Turnbulls, 5 Youngs, 4 Davidsons, 3 Burns and 12 others. Pledges for 10 other persons, including George Hoppringill of Torwoodlee were also received. The pledge for the Hoppringills was Dand Hoppringill and for George, George Hoppringill. On 25 February 1545 Eure calls in the pledges especially George Pringill’s (H.L.).
In February 1545 The English army of 5000 men and 600 of the “Assured Scots” advanced but on 27 February they were defeated at the battle of Ancrum Moor. David Hoppringill of Slegden was captured by the Captain of Bamborough Castle.
Cardinal Beaton was murdered in May 1546 and Henry VIII died in January 1547. The Scots army was destroyed at the battle of Pinkie on 10 September 1547. Many of the Scottish lairds including George Pringill of Torwoodlee took an oath of fealty to Edward VI.
In September 1548 the Lords of Council sent letters to Peebles intimating to the Kers and Hoppringills that they should have licence freely to pass and repass to come and say against the summons for treason if any defence they have.
The war between the two countries became ferocious but the tide turned in Scotland’s favour. Following the peace treaty between England and France in 1549 the English, after eight year’s of war, withdrew entirely from Scotland in April 1550.
In May 1550 the Regent being in Teviotdale takes a Tait, a Middlemas, a Burn, a Davidson, a Young, a Pyle, a Hall and William Hoppringill, as Pledges (T.A.).
In 1558 the Borders went from bad to worse, the Queen made repeated calls to arms. On 21 September a messenger came with letters charging the haill surnames of the Hoppringills and Scotts to be in Melrose on the 24th inst. for resisting our auld enemies in England (T.A.).
In January 1559 a messenger was sent from Edinburgh charging all inhabitants of Teviotdale and the Merse who took English prisioners or standards on 23rd inst. to bring them to the Queen; when William Hoppringill by her special command for winning a standard was given £6 (T.A.).
In June 1565 Walter Ker of Cessford, Warden of the Middle March, complained that certain barons and lairds including the Hoppringills of Clifton had failed to enter their men and tenants fyled of bills.
In November 1576 John of the Bents, his son David, Walter in Clifton, his son David, James in Hounam, his son David and David in Linton subscribe to a Bond to serve and obey the Earl of Angus, their feudal lord. [Torwoodlee was tenant in chief and his feudal lord was the King so the above must have held lands as tenants of the Earl of Angus].
In July 1583 in a note of the surnames and gentlemen of the Marches of England and Scotland, the surnames of East Teviotdale are stated to be the Kers, Youngs, Pringles, Burns, Davidsons and Taits, who are estimated to be 3000 men.
In 1584 Thomas Pringle in Hadden is denounced rebel for not compearing before the Council as charged (P.C.); he was later delivered to the English at Berwick.
On 8 April 1588, 25 landlords and masters on the Borders were charged to appear personally before the King and Council at Jedburgh on 17th inst. and present the persons named to them, fyled of English Bills within the Middle March, to be delivered to England for the relief of the King and his realm: included in the list was Walter Hoppringill of Clifton (P.C.).
In a list of Bills fyled on Scotland by the Commission at Berwick in February 1589 included among those in Teviotdale were Dand (Andrew) of Hounam and his son Wat (Walter), Wat of Clifton and his son Hobb, David of Over Chatto, and his son Wat, William of Chatto, John of Clifton, John of Kelso, Robert of Kelso and John of Linburn (B.P.).
In 1590 James Hoppringle, brother of Andrew of Hounam, gets a charter of two husbandlands of the kirklands of Eckford, failing whom, to descend to his brother William, failing whom to his brother Robert (P.S.).
In December 1592 William Hoppringill, brother of David of Hounam, finds caution in £40 not to intercommune with the Earl of Bothwell, and to answer for his past actions with him on eight days notice (P.C.).
In July 1596 Sir Robert Carey, writing from Berwick to Lord Burghley mentions Dand Pringle of Hounam and Jock (John) Pringle.
In 1596, a roll of wrongs by Sir Robert Ker, Scottish Warden, included Robert Pringle of Hadden, son of Thomas in Hounam, slain in plain daylight, following his own goods on Scottish ground; also five score ewes stolen from Dand Pringle of Hounam and James Pringle in Clifton (B.P.).
Late in 1596 Commissioners were appointed to meet in Carlisle to determine all wrongs committed since their last meeting in Berwick. Bills for small lots were fyled on Dand and David Pringle of Hounam and George Pringle of Tanlaw.
On 22 June 1598 Robert Redhead, Keeper of York Castle, certifies that he has received the 13 Scottish pledges including Dand Pringle of Hounam (B.P.). It is not known how long Dand remained a prisoner.
[Contrary to what Alexander Pringle says in his Records of the Pringles (p.150), William 1st of Torwoodlee had seven sons viz. George (Torwoodlee), James (unknown), David (Slegden), Robert (Fountainhall), William (Westhousebyres) Thomas (unknown) and John (the Bents)].
[Andrew (Dand) of Tanlaw and Alexander (Sandy) of Fernacres were descendents of William 1st of Craigleith not William 1st of Torwoodlee].
Robert Hoppringill, son of David of Hounam, first of Sharpitlaw, became tenant of the 7-merk lands about 1573. He succeeded his uncle William to the kirklands in Eckfurd, acquired by William’s brother James in 1590 (see Hounam). Robert died in 1603.
He left David Pringill, younger, of Hounam to be Tutor to his son George, live at Sharpitlaw, bring him up, and account to him when of age; also certain property in Kelso with the mail of which to bring up his deceased brother William’s two sons George and James (T.E.).
In 1609 George was confirmed in Sharpitlaw and the anna in the Tweed. In 1623 he got sasine of the kirklands of Eckfurd, the witnesses being Mark Pringill in Sprouston (first of Clifton and Haining) and Robert in Caverton (Newhall).
George was succeeded by his son Robert, who appears as laird in 1635. In 1640 he was retoured heir of his father in the Eckfurd kirklands. In 1664 on a precept of the superior he got sasine of the 5-merk land of Sharpitlaw and the anna in Tweed, and of a tenement in Kelso. In 1674 Robert disponed the Eckfurd lands to Alexander Pringle, surgeon in Kelso (see Nenthorn).
Walter Hoppringill, apparently from Hounam, is mentioned as being in Nenthorn in 1573 and 1582.
Alexander Pringle in Nenthorn mill and his brother John are recorded in 1609 and his son Walter appears in 1619. In 1621, his son Andrew is apprenticed to David Pringill, surgeon in Edinburgh.
Clifton and Haining
In 1605 John Hoppringill heir of the late John in Clifton, his grandfather, is granted by George Pringill in Torwoodlee a charter of a 50s land of his quarter of Clifton, as occupied by him. In 1623 he resigns the same, together with the 50s land acquired by his grandfather John in 1538, to Mark Pringill (G.S. 1623).
In May 1623 Mark Pringill in Sprouston with Robert in Caverton witness George Pringill of Sharpitlaw’s sasine in the kirklands of Eckfurd. In June of the same year Mark Pringill witnessed Dand Pringill’s sasine in the £3 lands in the east part of Clifton (S.E.).
On 23 July 1623, as servitor of Robert, Earl of Roxburgh, Mark Pringill is confirmed in the 11-merk land on the east side of Clifton resigned to him by Dand Pringill of Hounam and his eldest son Dand; also the £5 lands in the barony of Clifton is resigned to him by John Pringill portioner of Clifton (G.S. - see Tofts and Bents).